The Food I Make (pt.3)


The only time I have cooked whole trout. Stuffed it with garlic, ginger, onions and lemon, and seasoned with some sea salt as well. I wrapped and slow baked it for 2 hours at 220d. It turned out very moist and flavorful. The only thing I would do differently is add some texture, like a panko breading.
 This a simple but delicious street noodle salad made from vermacelli rice noodles as a base, and is served luke warm to cold.Toppings can change to suit your needs, as well as the dressing. This particular variation used a thai style dressing of vinegar, sugar, chillis, fish sauce and fried garlic. I sliced some roast pork and added bean sprouts, diced red pepper, cilantro, and lettuce. The round disc is a fried eggroll wrapper. These salad are nice when you are limited for time, and also on the go.
 Perilla leaf kim chee is my new favorite thing to prepare! And eat! The leaf is also known as shiso in Japan and has a taste like mint, basil, lime and cilantro mixed together if you can imagine. Its very potent to say the least, and when you make kim chee with perilla, the flavor gets very pungent. 
 This noodle dish is a spin off on Tonkotsu ramen. I say spin off because I didn't have half of the necessary items needed to pull it off correctly, but is still satisfied my hunger. One thing to note, adding an over easy egg to ramen dishes is a great addition.
 When I make rice bowls, I tend to add everything I can that is in my fridge, so they tend to look crazy as seen here. Like the noodle salad, this is also easy to prepare, especially if you have some left over rice. I used leftover turkey leg meat that I made into a stock, and added some simple condiments like kim chee, perilla leaves, and hoison. I shaved some carrots, added a handfull of radish sprouts, cilantro and sesame seeds. Done.
 This picture is a bit low quality but the best out of 4 taken. Salmon might be my favorite fish to eat. I sauteed the fish in chives, oil and salt along with some mango strips. Then I paired the fish with buckwheat noodles and spinach. I've been trying to add super foods to whatever I cook or prepare lately. Super foods pack the highest nutritional value at low calories and thats what makes them so great to eat. A lot of these dishes from this round use spinach as the base. Anyway, the sauce for this salad is a Korean style soy vinagrette, made from soy sauce, vinegar, mirin, brown sugar and garlic
 Giant spring rolls. I always think of it as a salad wrapped into a rice paper. Ingredients: pickled carrot, cucumber, rice nooles, purple cabbage, broccoli stem, cilantro, thai basil, mint, roast pork, and shrimp
 Tilapia rice bowl  (on a plate...) For this dish, I pickled the cucumber and carrots in sugar, vinegar and fish sauce, sauteed the tilapia with oil, sesame seed, and sea salt, then added a bit of cilantro. Quick and easy.
 Japanese Tonkatsu, or pork cutlet breaded in panko. Spinach base with mirin mushrooms and cooked asparagus, pork cutlet on top, followed with sliced avacado, then basil tomato relish and chives.
 Tonkotsu Ramen Soup. I was finally able to pick up the ingredients I needed from United Noodle in Minneapolis. They literally have every Asian product you can think of, and I easily spend 2 hours at a time there just looking around and shopping. Im in the experimental stage of cooking, and will always be. I could go into the details of how to make this soup, but it would take entirely to long. I will say that the whole process takes 6-7 hours, but its well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment